Sunday, June 14, 2009

Eye surgery went well...

and I am almost back to normal looking :) This latest surgery was nothing compared to the others I have been through with my eyes. For the first 5 minutes of the surgery I was knocked out and then I was awake for the final 40 minutes. When I was told this was how it was going to be by my anesthesiologist I about flipped out. Since I had the very bad experience in December when the gas bubble was put in my eye and I was wide awake, I was a bit freaked at the thought of going thru another surgery awake. However, my anesthesiologist rocked as did my doctor. She gave me just the right amount of "good stuff" and the doctor is one of the nicest and most gentle I have ever seen.

I guess I should let you all know what was done. I had scleral buckle done on my right eye three years ago. The silicon band that was around my eye became exposed and started to erode causing irritation and infection which could lead to a more serious infection and vision loss. So the band needed to be surgically removed. This was my fourth retinal surgery, 3rd one in the last 6 months...two on each eye, and hopefully my last for a long, long time!

My eye didn't swell shut, no bruising....just really red on the lower inside and under my lower lid. 5 stitches were placed in that area and for all I know they could have dissolved already! Anyway...enough about my eyeball....a big hats off to The Dean McGee Eye Institute and Dr. Haivala. I highly recommend Dean McGee to anyone having eye issues! :)

Sara

No comments: